The type of circuit breaker, which operates in air (where air-blast as an arc quenching medium) at atmospheric pressure, is known to be an Air Circuit Breaker. Air circuit breaker has completely replaced by oil circuit breaker. In different countries, still it is a preferable choice to use an Air circuit breaker up to 15KV because, there is no chance of oil fire like in oil circuit breaker.
Advantages of Air-Blast Circuit Beaker(VCB)
- Air blast circuit breaker is a suitable option to use where frequent operation is required because of lesser arc energy
- The risk of fire is eliminated in the operation of Air blast circuit breaker.
- Air blast circuit breaker is small in size, because of the growth of dielectric strength is so rapid (which final contact gap needed for arc extinction is very small).
- Speed of circuit breaker is much higher during operation of the air blast.
- Arc quenching is much faster
- The duration of the arc is same for all values of current.
- Stability of operation can be maintained and depends on speed operation of circuit breakers.
- It requires less maintenance.
Application and Uses of Air Circuit Breaker
- It is used for protection of plants
- It is used for common protection of electrical machines
- It used for protection of transformers, capacitors and generators.
- Air circuit breaker is also used in Electricity sharing system and NGD about 15kV
- Also used in Low as well as High voltage and Currents applications .